summer 2016

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

signs of spring



Note the deer on the right.  It was kicking its heels and biting its rump as it ran.

I'm still around.  Sorry I haven't been posting or visiting the past week but life happens.  Here we are into day 6 of March!  The days are getting longer and the time changes to Daylight Saving Time on the weekend.  I wish we had the warm weather to go with those extra daylight hours at the end of the day.  We don't really get to enjoy them until May and by then we're getting close to summer.  Such is life in our part of the world.

The deer have been gathering on the hill the past week and I've counted up to 25 or so at once. We had mild temperatures and rain last week which melted down some of the snow so the deer have been eating the stubble in the bare patches.  

Meet and Greet
On the hill with the bare patches.
Noon Hour
March 3, 2017
Bring a Friend.


I braved the bitterly cold wind and -20C windchill to venture into the backyard to take these photos.   We had such gusty winds from Thursday through Sunday.  I don't like wind.  I worry about trees snapping and power outages.

Two of the 'three amigos' who hang around our yard having a chat in the tree.  They like to clean up the bird seed on the ground which is great.

Monday was a lovely day - sunny and the wind had subsided - so I took a walk around the yard on the icy snow.  I had to be careful as my knee is still very unstable so I picked my way carefully and tried to find bare spots to walk on - few and far between.  I was delighted to see these daffodil leaves poking through next to the foundation where the snow had melted.  Spring is coming!

Purple Campanula
With winter weather still around I like to buy some pretty flowering plants and tulips to bring spring cheer to our home.

Have you ever seen or used one of these vintage Kodak cameras?  My father had one like this and I remember taking my first few photos on it when I was about 9 or 10 years old.  Then I was given a Brownie camera - the small square brown plastic kind - which I used for a few years until the Kodak Instamatic Camera was invented.  I loved the drop in film cartridge and the flash cubes.  Remember them?  That was in the 60's and early 70's.  My next camera after that was gifted to my by my husband - a 35 mm. film camera.  I've been taking photos all my life and I must admit I really like the ease and convenience of a DSLR camera.  

This is a collage of the above camera and a vintage Kodak Brownie box camera.


Some spring touches in the front entry.  No Forsythia in bloom here yet so faux it is.  And faux pussy willows too!  I took this photo this morning while the sun was shining before the clouds rolled in.  We have snow, ice pellets, maybe freezing rain, then rain moving in.  Then back to the deep freeze again on Friday.  

Thanks so much for visiting.  I hope you are having a good week and that spring is showing signs of it's impending arrival for you.

Blessings,
Pam





24 comments:

  1. After I had purchased the faux pussy willows, I founds oodles of pussy willows at the Ponderosa. They, however, make a mess and the faux do not. I will gather some for the outdoor planter perhaps.

    No rain, freezing or otherwise, here yet. I declined helping my sister today because I was afraid of driving in it. Now I am feeling pretty foolish.

    If the plants are coming up, spring can not be too far away. Hope that soon the 🦌 🦌 🦌 will be deeper in the forest otherwise you'll have to build some hedgerows.

    Nice to have you posting again...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful spring touches in your home! And I loved the deer and three amigos. Really lovely shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two younger pups have learned the joy of stalking the critters that clean up beneath my feeders. They've turned into huge mousers. Rather OCD about it. They are crazy. Let them out at night and they're so crazy they forget they're out there to do their business. I have to put them on a leash and take them in front. (Otherwise they'll just be waking me up hours later.) I'm pulling my hair out! Argh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to see you here this morning dear Pamela - know how life can get busy though, and just not enough hours for everything!
    Lovely photos - thanks for braving those very bitter temps. and the wind to take them for us. The countryside looks lovely but I know you will certainly be ready for Spring. Yes, windy conditions with big trees are frightening where power lines are concerned - ours are underground here in the cul-de-sac, but the older houses down the street are overhead and of course connect to ours so we still have power outages if their lines have trees down on them! Life is full of crazy ups and downs - we just have to take the good with the bad I guess. . . . . . .and 'soldier on' as they say!

    Take care in the cold - sending you warm breezes from my garden X

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to see you back! Nice to see all these signs of spring, "faux" or not... We'll be seeing real tulips and forsythia before long, for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mother worked for Kodak when I was young and I recall seeing a camera like this in her closet. The old cartridges and flash cubes were so easy weren't they? Definitely a memory from the 70s.
    My DSLR is getting dusty while waiting for spring and pretty flowers to capture. The campanula is a bright shot of cherry purple for a March day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the "meet & greet" on the hillside ... so cute ;) Winter hangs on for a long time where you are! -20 still?! Sheesh! We're creeping up to 9C today on the plus side too. Love the little signs of spring in and around your home.
    My first camera was one I got from my sister because she didn't want it anymore. That camera went on a lot of adventures with me and my girlfriend! It's been on lots of trail rides with horses and canoe paddle and portages that lasted from sunrise to sunset. I keep thinking I have to convert my old slides into prints from those long ago days. I have a little machine to do this specific job.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The critters must be getting anxious for spring to show itself.

    Oh, I do loath daylight savings time. They should just abolish it once and for all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely photos, Pam and Spring is just a bit away.. We hope! smile.. Just not tonight.. It is snowing here now and then freezing rain is to come.. I love your Spring touches! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the deer! Other than the annoyance of eating what they shouldn't, it's nice to have them so close. The flowers are beautiful and that camera is so very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice to see a post from you, Pamela. The meet and greet on the hill looks like a successful event. Signs of spring are few and far between, here, too - it's cold and there's snow not very far way. For us it's just dreary rain.
    I'm not looking forward to Daylight Savings Time. It doesn't make much sense to me, and I find the spring switch a bit difficult, as do families with small children. But switch we will!
    That old camera is a museum piece!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently found your blog and enjoy your photos very much. While I now live in the south, my heart is still in NB. Thank you for providing a "taste of home".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spring is coming inevitably. All our snow from the weekend is gone again now after a warm day today.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I liked your Deer Meet and Greet invite . .
    Brought a big smile on my face.
    You do have some patches, with plenty of snow left too.
    I noticed this morning on my walk, that there is not one patch of snow here.
    I too have used several cameras through my years.
    Instamatic cameras, to a Minolta DLSR, to a Fuji, cell phone camera, and now the iPad camera.
    My grown children giggle at me when I walk around taking pictures with the iPad.
    It is ok, I catch some great pics.
    Nothing like yours though Pamela . . .
    I love your views and pics . . . wonderful!
    Mister Irish just informed me we are supposed to get 4-6 inches of snow Monday.
    Wouldn't you know, I moved the shovels, snowblower to the garden house today
    when I cleaned the garage . . . let's hope the snow goes south or north of us
    like it has done all winter long.
    Day Light Savings Time . . . I saw that too . . . seems so early.
    "Spring back" we go with the clocks.
    Happy beginning spring days Pam . . .

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Pamela, so nice to see a post from you. The tête–à–tête in the tree looks pretty chummy to me - how cute! Your front entry has turned out to be a favourite spot of mine here in blog land and I love the pretty spring touches you have added; faux can definitely be fab!

    Have a wonderful Wednesday,
    Hugs,
    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hadn't noticed the brownie camera when I saw a picture of your cameras (maybe on IG?). But I was sure you would have one. Most of my mom's early photos were taken on a brownie camera, I haven have a cool picture of us standing by dad's old ford and her reflection is visible on the car--you can see her bobby sox and make out her holding the camera at her waist, which is where you held them pretty much to see the viewfinder.

    ReplyDelete
  17. HI Pam....
    So sorry to hear about your knee! What happened?
    Lovin your foyer!
    Enjoy the rest of your week...3 more days for us!
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
  18. We had extreme wind today and a huge old tree came down across a main road and trapped a person inside a car. It seems to have eased now. How's that knee? Hope if feels good now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely light in your pictures, the springtime is near I think...
    Great vintage camera too, try it :)
    Have a fine day, take care.
    Titti

    ReplyDelete
  20. Do you feed the deer? Looks like a wonderful time they had all gathered together up there! What a joy to watch them kick up their heels :) I have been dealing with hungry turkeys getting into my chicken coop. Everyone is ready for spring here, but no signs of it yet... more snow snow snow! And yes, freezing rain/ice on tap for tonight/tomorrow too. I don't like those high winds either, they make me very nervous with all the pine trees and their shallow root systems. How nice to find the daffodils poking their heads up! Yes, spring is certainly coming, rather slowly I think! LOL! You are right about the longer days not meaning much until May,its true here too. Hugs to you dear friend, hope your knee gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love old cameras! I have quite a few. They are so amazing. Most have a family connection. I have one that is very arts and crafts style. I actually paid $35.00 for it but so worth it! It just makes me happy to look at it :)
    There certainly was a spring feel in the air, but the forecast here is for bitter cold again tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's looking mighty pretty and springlike inside over there! We are all SO ready for spring. Love your old camera!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful photos and post . I love that camera haven't seen one in years . It has turned cold here again with just a dusting of snow March weather is a teaser for sure . Thanks for sharing , Have a good weekend !

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...